Threaded Index

Re: Consortia pricing

consortial pricing for their product, an observation. Most vendors who
offer consortial pricing are for-profit vendors. Clearly their price is
marked up to assure them a profit. Their offer of consortial pricing may
reduce their profits somewhat, but they probably see it as a trade-off for
lower administrative costs or because they gain greater market share and
possibly make sales to sectors of the market who would not use their
product otherwise.

JSTOR is a not-for-profit organization, and their purpose is not to make a
profit, so I assume they have already set their pricing at a point where
there is very little margin over costs. What excess funding is created, I
assume goes to develop infrastructure to better serve us, and to carry out
the important task of digitizing the back runs of serials held in our
libraries. I would not like to see them lower their prices, and put their
endeavor in danger, or slow down the process of conversion of our paper
holdings.

JSTOR has a board which I trust guides their pricing policy to assure they
accomplish their goals without extracting any unneeded dollars from the
library community.

I served on the OCLC Board of Trustees, and as a member of that group, I
always kept these principles in mind. Too often we forget that
not-for-profits serving the library community do not play by the same
rules as our for-profit vendors. We need to think differently of them.

Vanderbilt was a charter member of JSTOR as well. I have no knowledge of
the specific finances of JSTOR, but I trust its management and board to
strike a balance between the health of JSTOR and the well being of the
library community it serves.

Paul M. Gherman
University Librarian
611B General Library