Threaded Index

Re: Consortia pricing

The issue of consortial pricing raised by John Campbell is an interesting
one. Mr. Campbell raised in the context of JSTOR so, disclaimer first: my
library is a charter member of JSTOR.

If he doesn't know it already, the main thing I would advise Mr. Campbell
to be aware that while many libraries have joined JSTOR and many members
(and non-members) are supportive of this digital initiative with an
emphasis on the archival as long overdue -- applause, applause -- the
biggest complaint I have heard regarding JSTOR is its stance not to deal
with library consortia. (This complaint gets "mixed up with" the belief
that JSTOR is over-priced; that is, since a library cannot get a
discounted price via a consortia, it is too expensive.) Indeed,
"complaint" really isn't strong enough; many colleagues I talk to are
offended by this position.

I have asked JSTOR about this issue directly and the response I got was
that they see no economic advantage or efficiency to a consortial
arrangement. My interpretation of this remark was, "we can't see what
money or services we would save in dealing with a consortia of 10
libraries versus dealing with 10 libraries individually, therefore we have
no basis on which to base a consortial pricing with reduced costs." I
think this logic is short-sighted and incorrect.

Many of those hypothetical 10 libraries might not join at all due to
individual pricing, but *all* 10 might join if consortial pricing is
permitted and costs are shared. In the end, I think vendors should and
would end up getting more money with consortial pricing than without. Of
course, in addition to the increased dollars, they will also have the
additional burden of support for those 10 libraries (requiring, perhaps,
faster connectivity, greater load on servers, etc.) Still, however, this
*is* a digital product and the cost of additional digital copies are not
as compelling or direct as in the paper space.

Note: it is amazing how many consortial arrangements of which libraries
can be members! We're a medium-sized academic library in Mass. and I can
easily name a dozen consortia or affiliations which might serve as the
basis of some vendor digital initiative. It starts with very broad
groupings (such as Nelinet, our OCLC provider) and all the way down to
very small but very effective local affiliations such as SMCL, consisting
of the four academic libraries in this part of the state. I would agree
that a consortial arrangement should have some advantage to the vendor in
terms of reduced contact points for support issues and billing/payment. I
think these are very reasonable requirements and any consortia that does
not offer them is not, in my opinion, a reasonable arrangement for the
vendor.

However, in addition to the economic factors, there is a more fundamental
reason why I think JSTOR's position is wrong and is also the reason why
libraries are offended by its position. Libraries have a long and valuable
history of consortial arrangements resulting in the sharing of materials,
support, expertise and costs. I think we're one of the few entities in
higher ed that have such meaningful relationships. We deserve credit for
that. Moreover, in these days, when we all recognize that not even the
largest of libraries can have everything and the increased importance of
access and delivery vs. ownership, these relationships are increasingly
important. We should encourage and enhance them, not abandon them. Indeed,
we should look for ways to creatively apply these relationships in the new
digital world. Ultimately, I believe that what's good for libraries are
good for the vendors we deal with; that includes consortial relationships.

-------------
David Carlson
Director of Libraries Bridgewater State College
Bridgewater, MA 02325
E: dcarlson@bridgew.edu
V: 508/697-1256
Fax: 508/697-1349