Threaded Index

Best Practices for Negotiating with Electronic Resources Vendors

I'd like to ask your help with a project that I think will be of
interest to list members.....

I've been negotiating pricing and licensing terms with electronic
resources vendors for ten years, and I am trying to develop a list
of "best practices" for negotiating with vendors of electronic
resources. This is still in the early formative stages, but is
something that I think could eventually prove to be very helpful
to folks involved in such negotiations.

What I'd like to come up with is a list of practical, commonsense
considerations that would be helpful for any library or consortium
that might be entering into negotiations with a vendor that provides
access to electronic resources. While I am interested in basic
"best practices" for contract/license negotiation, I am also interested
in basic principles that apply prior to actually negotiating the
license/contract (e.g., "best practices" for obtaining optimal
price quotes).

While I have a number of my own ideas, I'd really appreciate any
suggestions that any of you might have. As I've indicated, this idea
is still in the formative stages, and I hope to get some valuable
insights/suggestions from you all. I will most definitely summarize

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:  217-333-4895