Threaded Index

Substituting Chemical Abstracts

Hi,

We have tried to find a way of giving free access to the Chemical
Abstracts database to our students, researchers , and faculty and have
concluded that the only way at the present time is to acquire the 12th
Collective Index with Abstracts, the 13th Collective Index with Abstracts,
and a subscription to Chemical Abstracts on CD. This is the only fixed
cost alternative. All other solutions have variable costs that are
impossible to calculate with any precision. This solution also requires
that you maintain a subscription to Chemical Abstracts on paper.

If you plan on charging for access to the online service then you can
recover your cost but then there is no reason for cutting your
subscription to the paper edition.

Furthermore, I don't think you can count on your users searching STN
mostly in off peak hours unless they pay for the service themselves. Then
again if they pay for the service themselves, why cut Chemical Abstracts
on paper?

Every time we give access to the CD-ROM, network, or Internet versions of
an abstract we notice a considerable increase in use. If you give free
access to STN you will probably find the same thing especially if there is
no alternative.

Michel Dagenais
Conseiller a la documentation
Universite Laval