Threaded Index

Nondisclosure story

I once witnessed an internal vendor battle regarding the
disclosure of cost info.

I had negotiated a contract with a vendor. I asked the vendor
if it was OK to publicize the value of the contract. The rep
said "no". Later, I was contacted by their PR office, to
give them some info for a press release. They seemed to
think it was important to publicize the value of the contract
(I guess they thought it was a big contract, and that the
publicity would reflect well on the company). I told them
I couldn't give them that info, as I had been instructed not
to, and that they should contact the rep with whom I had
negoiated the contract.

When the release eventually came out, it had no mention
of the value of the contract.

Bernie Sloan

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:  217-333-4895