Threaded Index

Re: Lexis/Nexis UNIVerse

We are looking at it very seriously but many of our librarians have
pointed out this is a much different product -- perhaps still wonderful
but significantly different.  Our area studies bibliographers are
especially disappointed. tony

Anthony W. Ferguson
Associate University Librarian
Columbia University Libraries
Tel. 212-854-7401  (NEW NUMBER!!!!!!)
Fax. 212-222-0331

> Hello Licensers,
>
> Are many of you looking at the Web site license version of Lexis/Nexis
> (UNIVerse)? We have been reviewing it with interest...it certainly provides
> some obvious benefits (Web interface is much easier to use, site access
> speaks for itself, full text printing, and additional Reference Databases
> (BIP, Ulrich's, Encyclopedia of Assoc).
>
> HOWEVER, all "Topic" searches search the HLEAD segment only...keyword
> searches of full text are not possible. This "may" be an option after the
> first of the year. More troubling, nothing in any of the documentation
> alerts users to this limitation. LEGIS materials (Legislative histories,
> bill tracking, bill text) have also been left out, and while the earlier
> information was they "would be added soon," the current information is that
> they won't be added at all because they are included in Cong Compass (owned
> by Elsevier). I'm anxious to find out what other libraries have looked at
> UNIVerse, and what your reactions are (and what other undocumented changes
> you may be aware of...)
>

> Carole Richter
> Electronic Services Coordinator
> University of Notre Dame Libraries