Threaded Index

Re: ILL In An Electronic Age, Part 2

Possibly a more accurate term for ILL of electronic 'documents' is
'redistribution'.   One can distinguish between 'internal redistribution'
(within the entity that subscribed to the journal in the first place) and
'external redistribution' which involves sending it to others whose
organisation may not subscribe.   Print redistribution is, I suppose, what
ILL of photocopied journal articles really amounts to.   Then of course
there is the distinction between 'one to one redistribution' and 'one to
many' - the latter, of course, really does keep publishers awake at night!

Members of the UK working group of publishers and librarians which was
looking at licences came up with some draft wording on ILL (not actually
included in the model licence which is currently up for discussion).   I'd
be happy to share this if people are interested.

Sally Morris

At 17:02 05/08/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Quick question:  How applicable is the term "interlibrary loan" when
>applied to journal articles? I'd imagine it's been quite a while since
>requests were filled by actually loaning the physical copy of the journal
>containing the article.  Nowadays they are hardly "loans", as there isn't
>the expectation that the photocopied article will be returned.  Even the
>term "interlibrary" has become less descriptive, with the growing emphasis
>on patron-initiated requests.
>
>Should we use another term in our discussions? Are existing terms such as
>"document delivery" appropriate? Are there other applicable terms?
>
>I guess I'm just concerned that the term "ILL" carries a certain amount of
>baggage with it, both for librarians and for publishers, and may not
>adequately describe what we're trying to accomplish in an electronic
>environment. It wouldn't bother me to continue using the term for our
>liblicense-l discussions, as long as we all understand that the process
>rarely involves a "loan", and will be less and less between libraries.
>
>Bernie Sloan
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Bernie Sloan
>Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
>University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
>338 Henry Administration Building
>506 S. Wright Street
>Urbana, IL  61801
>Phone:  217-333-4895