Threaded Index

Re: Passwords for Remote Access

At Dartmouth we do as Tony described for Columbia.  However, this is not
always possible.  It depends on how the provider has set up access to the
product. Sometimes this solution cannot be made to work, and in those
cases where it does, it creates something that has to be maintained--which
can become a headache if a large number of products depend on this
solution.

John R. James
Dartmouth College Library
Hannover, New Hampshire 03755
Tel: (603) 646-3187
Fax: (603) 646-3702
E-mail: john.r.james@dartmouth.edu

______________________________________

--- Anthony W Ferguson wrote:
As a matter of policy we do not give users passwords.  We first verify
who they are using our own security system and then they can get to the
resource.  The password is scripted in and is invisible to the user. tony

Anthony W. Ferguson
Associate University Librarian
Columbia University Libraries
Tel. 212-854-2270