Threaded Index

what needs licensing?

I read these discussions with great interest and some uncertainty.  I
publish the e-versions of Bryn Mawr Classical and Bryn Mawr Medieval
Reviews.  We have paid very little attention to copyright and have no
intention of putting license restrictions on what we produce.  I can give
explanations for *our* case, but I'm more interested in the boundary that
our case suggests.  What e-journals and the like are or will continue to
be available more or less freely in a culture of trust ultimately
guaranteed by the copyright statutes, and which will require protection by
licenses?  If we could figure out the criteria for distinguishing the two,
we'd have a better sense for the proportion of scholarly and scientific
resources likely to be available the one way and the other.

Jim O'Donnell
Classics, U. of Penn
jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense