Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 11:12:20 -0400
To: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu
From: "Martha W. Bonney" <mbonney@maxwell.syr.edu>
Subject: what needs licensing?

Our social science research program at Syracuse University is putting all
its working papers online, in Acrobat format, because (a) we have no desire
to make money, which requires controlling access, and (b) we want to
disseminate our findings to as many people as possible. So there are no
restrictions on our materials for non-commercial use. We're beginning to put
restrictions for commercial use, specifically that our stuff cannot be used
commercially without specific written permission.

Since we publish working papers, many of which are polished further and
submitted to hard copy journals for publication, we don't feel we are
affecting the marketability of the journals. But there's a tendency for
journals to restrict publication of "the same" article electronically. Our
response is that a working paper is not the same article.

Does that help?  Our site, FYI, is http://www-cpr.maxwell.syr.edu

MARTHA W. BONNEY
Publications and Events Coordinator, Center for Policy Research, and
Assistant to the Director, All-University Gerontology Center
426 Eggers Hall, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-1020
(315) 443-2703 | FAX (315) 443-1081
E-mail: mbonney@maxwell.syr.edu
WWW address: http://www-cpr.maxwell.syr.edu

>Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 16:08:40 -0400 (EDT)
> From: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (James O'Donnell)
>To: liblicense-l@pantheon.yale.edu
>Subject: what needs licensing?
>
>I read these discussions with great interest and some uncertainty.  I
>publish the e-versions of Bryn Mawr Classical and Bryn Mawr Medieval
>Reviews.  We have paid very little attention to copyright and have no
>intention of putting license restrictions on what we produce.  I can give
>explanations for *our* case, but I'm more interested in the boundary that
>our case suggests.  What e-journals and the like are or will continue to
>be available more or less freely in a culture of trust ultimately
>guaranteed by the copyright statutes, and which will require protection by
>licenses?  If we could figure out the criteria for distinguishing the two,
>we'd have a better sense for the proportion of scholarly and scientific
>resources likely to be available the one way and the other.
>
>Jim O'Donnell
>Classics, U. of Penn
>jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense