Threaded Index

Re: EJournal Aggregation

I have thought about the licensing problem for a while now, although
probably not as long as some people here have spent negotiating
licenses.  It seems to me that it would be a real boon to librarians
if one of the professional associations came up with a model license
in conjuction with representatives of the publishers and vendors
agreement that would specify terms and conditions of the licenses.

I know that it would be expecting a lot to have publishers conform
licenses to a standard format with standard conditions, but until
they do, the incentive for librarians to buy licensed products will
be reduced due to the complexity of managing different licenses.

The model license in merely one solution, and I'm sure that there are
others out there, but coordinated action by libraries on the problem
of licenses is called for.

Andrew Wohrley

Andrew Wohrley
Science & Technology Department
Auburn University Libraries
http://www.auburn.edu/~wohrlaj
wohrlaj@lib.auburn.edu

_________________________

>    I have seen some response from major publishers such as Elsevier,
> that they will absolutely not license to/through an aggregator. I believe
> the Academic Press/IDEAL policy is quite similar.  As major publishers of
> STM journals, they already aggregate.
>
>    We are currently working through methods to management the growing
> number of electronic journals.  At this point, I would be grateful for at
> least an agency to manage the paperwork.  The licenses are so varied that
> each institution needs hands-on involvement.

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback