Threaded Index

Re: EJournal Aggregation

Consortia are consumer aggregators as well.  A consortium "aggregates"
the buying power of its member libraries.  So we have vendor aggregators
and consumer aggregators.  My orignal call was for vendors to emerge who
would aggregate periodicals from many publishers and in our behalf
negotiate the licenses.  Such an aggregator would probably need an
advisory or users group which would insure that such licenses were fair to
everyone who pays them (in the periodicals world that is publishers and
consumers).

Anthony W. Ferguson
Associate University Librarian
Columbia University Libraries
Tel. 212-854-2270
Fax. 212-222-0331
Net: ferguson@Columbia.edu

> Apologies from a latecomer to the debate, but what is aggregation?
>
> Terry Brennan
> Information Services Librarian
> RVIB Talking Book Library
> Melbourne, Australia.
>

> NB FROM MODERATOR:  OOPS, some of us may have been to too many "product"
> meetings and we've achieved that post-modern, post-book post-database
> jargon that we claim to abhor.  "Aggregation" as used on this list means
> the bundling together or gathering together of electronic information into
> electronic collections that are marketed as a package.  For example,
> DIALOG@CARL "aggregates" 300 databases; Academic Press's IDEAL aggregates
> 170+ journals; Johns Hopkins MUSE is an electronic collection of 40+
> journals, and so on.  But "aggregator" is more usually used in describing
> the supplier who assembles the offerings of more than one publisher, so
> one is more likely to hear Dialog, OCLC, Information Access, and UMI
> spoken of as aggregators, than the Johns Hopkins Press.  If I understand
> correctly. If this is not quite right, jump in and let us know. Ann
> Okerson

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer