Threaded Index

"blockbuster" scientific journals

        I find the idea of a publisher actually getting feedback on the
usage of journals within the collection fascinating.  If the e-journal will
allow publishers to get a true feel for how much their product is used, how
will the publishers use this information for pricing.  Will marginal
publications start "blockbuster" marketing techniques?  The precedent has
been set with the "pre-release" publicity, "This week's issue of
Science/Nature/NEJM/whatever" an no one seems to thing this is an
unacceptable standard for the drumming up of business and credibility
for a journal.

        I wonder if this will harbinger the death of many of the marginal
specialized journals that spring up like weeds in the medical community. I
have visions of the ficticious "Annals of Warts", "Archives of Warts",
"Warts Monthly" and the "International Journal of Warts" comparing usage
figures like baseball stats.  How will this affect the "publish or perish"
university world.

        I think this will have far greater impact on our profession than
the Thor Tool Decision. We will be keeping score internationally in
ejournals.  Will our library holdings be based on "cost per usage" and how
will that effect our managerial decisions in these cruel times of
downsizing?

Chris Drew, M.L.S.
Chief Librarian
Library Service (142D)