Threaded Index

Re: Seasonally adjusted simultaneous user pricing

Of course another way of adjusting for this would be to figure out the
cost if you could negotiate for a different number of slo's and then
renegotiate the per slo accordingly.  I thought perhaps you were also
going to note that 15 slo's at 2 pm are functionally different than 15
slo's at 8 am.  Is that right? e.g., the problem at 2 pm is internet
overload and the extra slo's don't do much good.  tony

Anthony W. Ferguson
Associate University Librarian
Columbia University Libraries
Tel. 212-854-2270
Fax. 212-222-0331
Net: ferguson@Columbia.edu

____________________________________

> Bernie Sloan Writes:
> From: "Sloan, Bernie" <bernies@uillinois.edu>
> Subject: Seasonally adjusted simultaneous user pricing
> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:53:29 -0600
>

> I touched on this briefly in a posting last week, but I thought I'd raise
> the question more specifically today.
>
> When estimating the number of simultaneous users required, you should
> consider peak use times, i.e., to make sure that users have sufficient
> access at times when demand is highest, and when, in theory, folks need
> access to the resource the most.
>
> The problem is that, if you try to provide for reasonable access during
> peak use times on the calendar, you wind up with excess resources that are
> paid for, but unused, the rest of the time. For example, an academic
> library might need 20 simultaneous users for the four months or so when
> students are busiest researching papers, etc., but might only need 5
> simultaneous users for the remainder of the contract year.
>
> Is anyone aware of any vendors that offer "seasonally adjusted
> simultaneous user" pricing? For example, paying for 20 users for the four
> months you might need them, and then paying for 5 for the rest of the
> year.
>
> I'd like to know if the vendors out there think this concept has
> any validity.
>
> Bernie Sloan

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library