Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

Rick,

I agree and disagree.  You are absolutely correct that libraries
cannot continue to put up with price increases.  (I note that you
call them "extortionate.")  No argument with this at all.  But
you are talking as though publishers were a single entity.  They
are not. There are thousands of them (and the numbers keep
growing). Furthermore, they do not compete with libraries.  They
compete with each other.

It is true that if all publishers raised their prices, libraries
could not pay the freight.  But an individual publisher can raise
a price and get away with it, provided that that publisher has
materials that are central to a library's collection.  To fund
that purchase, a library will cancel another publisher's journal
(we agree on that). But it's no skin off the nose of the
publisher whose materials you continue to purchase.  Heck, it's a
win for that publisher because the publisher who lost out may
exit the market.

I am not defending or attacking this situation.  I am simply
trying to explain it.  I have written about this before at the
Scholarly Kitchen:  http://j.mp/eEwmzo.  The cries of librarians
are unheeded because they don't affect the economics of the
winning publisher.

Of course, for a publisher to be a winner, whether with or
without high prices, it takes an absolutely outstanding editorial
program.

This also raises the question of what libraries can do that would
be effective, but it is clear in any event that complaining about
the situation does not work, however warranted those complaints
might be.

Joe Esposito