Fall issue of ScieCom info

[Apologies for cross-postings]

Welcome to the autumn 2011 issue of ScieCom info. Nordic-Baltic
Forum for Scientific Communication.

In our "Open Minds" interview series we can now present
interviews from Finland, Iceland and Lithuania.

Our editor in Helsinki Turid Hedlund has interviewed three
members of the Finnish Open Access working group FinnOA, founded
in 2003 in Helsinki by professionals from academia, libraries,
learned societies and publishers:  "Open minds towards open
access: An interview with members of the FinnOA working group".
http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/5275/4647

Solveig Thorsteinsdottir, our Icelandic editor, talked to Ian
Watson, assistant professor of social science at Bifroest
University in Iceland, editor of the Bifroest Journal of Social
Science, and also manages the library at the Reykjavik Academy,
an association of Icelandic researchers and scholars. He gives
his views on OA in "Open Minds - An Interview with Ian Watson"
http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/5276/4648

Emilija Banionyte, Ausra Vaskeviciene, and Gintare Tautkeviciene
have asked two influential groups of Lithuanian stakeholders,
four politicians and four scientists, about their opinions and
experiences of OA. "Open Minds" Interviews with Lithuanian
politicians and famous researchers about Open Access".
http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/5274/4646

The topic of Megajournals is hot. What are megajournals? Will
they revolutionize our current system of scholarly communication?
Our Norwegian editor Jan Erik Frantsvag discusses all this in
"The Mega-journals are coming!"
http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/5278/4650

With new technologies come new and unforeseen problems. Trude
Eikebrokk, Bettina Grodem Knutsen, and Jimi Thaule, Oslo and
Akershus University College of Applied Sciences, have encountered
some of them: "Exploring Handheld Devices and Digital Learning:
the iPad project at Oslo University College".
http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/5277/4649

Oslo University College (OUC) was one of the last Higher
Education (HE) institutions to get an institutional repository.
Mid-June 2010 their Open Digital Archive, ODA, went public. In
"Carrot or stick, incentives or mandates, or both" Tania Strom
looks at the key events resulting in ODA, and describes the
incentive scheme. implemented at OUC.
http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/5279/4651

Lars Bjornshuage's rallying key-note speech at the recent
PKP-conference in Berlin "We have won the argument about OA - now
we have to bring things together and make it work" lists major
achievements this far,  and outlines future routes of action.
http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/5280/4652

We hope that you will have a god read.

Your comments and ideas are very welcome

Ingegerd Rabow
Editor-in-chief