Physics: Broadening Our Reach

New content and features in Physics will help readers learn more
about the topics they like best.

Contact: Jessica Thomas, Editor, American Physical Society,
physics@aps.org

Ridge, NY, 24 October 2011 -- Physics , a free online publication
from APS, announces a new layout for the website and welcomes
Physical Review Focus (now simply Focus ) into its weekly
content. Both changes enhance Physics as a venue for learning
about emerging fields and keeping up with the fast pace of
research.

Since launching in 2008, Physics has offered in-depth coverage
(Viewpoints) and concise editor summaries (Synopses) of important
and compelling papers in the Physical Review journals. Readers
tell us they highly value this convenient way to "dip their toes"
into a new field or discover papers they might have missed.

Focus stories, which have been published at focus.aps.org  since
1998, are already familiar to many of our readers. Written by
professional science writers in a journalistic style, these
stories emphasize  basic physics concepts to make results
accessible to students and non-experts.

Bringing Focus into Physics makes it easier for readers to
discover the content they enjoy on a single website. As with all
of the articles in Physics , the full archive of Focus stories
will be freely available at physics.aps.org . Preexisting links
to the old Focus website will redirect to their new pages in
Physics ; the Physical Review Focus ISSN (1539-0748:online) has
been retired.

As we expand the content of Physics , it is time to give  the
website  a fresh look. We recognize that readers come to the
website in different ways and with particular interests. The new
homepage layout makes it easier to see the latest  content but
still catch up on articles from recent weeks. Readers can now
also choose from a menu of subject categories on the homepage,
while enhancements to searching and browsing make it easier to
access Physics ' growing archive. Since few scientific results
can be viewed in isolation, links to related content at the end
of each article will help readers keep up with overlapping
research areas.

These changes reflect feedback from readers in the three years
since Physics launched. We invite you to send in comments about
our new look to physics@aps.org .

About APS: The American Physical Society ( www.aps.org
www.aps.org ) is a non-profit membership organization working to
advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its
outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and
education, outreach, advocacy and international activities.  APS
represents 48,000 members, including physicists in academia,
national laboratories and industry in the United States and
throughout the world.  Society offices are located in College
Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, DC.