Taylor & Francis Group widens Open Access offerings

Oxford, 28th October 2011

Taylor & Francis Group is marking Open Access week by announcing
a range of new Open Access journals and an enhancement of their
current Open Access programme for 2012. These initiatives will
encompass publications from across the range of science, social
and behavioral sciences and humanities subjects.

What's changing? Taylor & Francis' current iOpenAccess option
will be renamed for 2012 as Taylor & Francis Open Select, and
will continue to give authors and their sponsors the option of
making their articles available on Open Acess to all for a
publication fee. This initiative has been running since 2006 and
currently encompasses 500 titles from across Taylor & Francis
Group's extensive portfolio.

In addition, three cutting-edge titles currently available on a
subscription basis will be converted to full Open Access for
2012. The digital archives of these titles will also be made Open
Access.  These titles - Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews,
Journal of Biological Dynamics, Smart and Nano Materials -
publish significant research in their fields and have author
communities with a strong interest in publishing research in an
Open Access model.

And what's new?
Taylor & Francis will also be launching Taylor & Francis Open.
This initiative will cover all our fully Open Access titles.  One
important part of this initiative is a new series of fully Open
Access titles from 2012 in major subject areas. These titles will
offer rapid online publication of methodologically sound research
which will be subject to rigorous peer review.  The journals will
have affordable article publication fees, with discounts or fee
waivers for emergent countries. The initiative will also involve
collaboration with leading journals within T&F's existing
portfolio, along with support from learned societies and
internationally acclaimed editors, ensuring the quality of these
titles.

Commenting on this initiative, Professor Nick Quirke, Editor of
the journals Molecular Simulation and Journal of Experimental
Nanoscience, stated, "The new open access suite of journals being
offered in Taylor & Francis Open will allow universal access to
high quality academic literature, opening it up to all of the
scientific community to benefit from the research."

Details of these titles, their supporting journals and their
editors will be released in the coming weeks, so watch this space
for more information.

In addition to these broad-spectrum titles, Taylor & Francis will
also:

* launch Journal of Organic Semiconductors on a full Open Access
basis for 2012;

* launch a major new financial economics title on a full Open
Access basis for 2012;

* announce in the next month a publishing partnership with an
established major health and social care full Open Access title;

* continue our publishing partnership with Kotuitui: New Zealand
Journal of Social Sciences Online, an established fully Open
Access journal currently published under the Routledge imprint in
cooperation with the Royal Society of New Zealand.

Dr David Green, Global Journals Publishing Director, sums up
Taylor & Francis' new approaches to Open Access, "Taylor &
Francis is committed to producing high-calibre journals that
showcase quality global research. We believe that this content
should be widely disseminated and are now exploring various Open
Access business models to enable universal access in ways that
are sustainable and meet the needs of the research communities we
serve. We feel the time is right to increase the scope of our
Open Access offerings to sit alongside the cost-effective
subscription and licensing options we offer to libraries.  Over
the past three years society journals have been partnering with
Taylor & Francis Group at the rate of more than one per week,
and, if required, we are now able to offer a potential partner a
range of Open Access business models where there is real author
demand and we can ensure viability and sustainability".

***************************************

About Taylor & Francis Group

Taylor & Francis Group partners with researchers, scholarly
societies, universities and libraries worldwide to bring
knowledge to life. As one of the world's leading publishers of
scholarly journals, books, ebooks and reference works our content
spans all areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, Science and
Technology.

>From our network of offices in Oxford, Philadelphia, Melbourne,
Singapore, Beijing, Tokyo, Stockholm, New Delhi and Johannesburg,
Taylor & Francis staff provide local expertise and support to our
editors, societies and authors  and tailored, efficient customer
service to our library colleagues.

"Taylor & Francis: Local Partnership, Global Network"

For more information please contact:
Victoria Wright, Communications Manager, Taylor & Francis Group
Journals
e-mail: Victoria.Wright@tandf.co.uk