Re: OA economics & libraries

A couple of points in reply to Sandy's first paragraph.

The first is on costs.  A detailed piece of economic modelling
(see below for link) showed that Gold OA would be cheaper for the
UK (as a publication-heavy country) if the average price for
publication was less than about 2000 pounds.  Interestingly, 2000
pounds is significantly higher than the fee charged by most
successful OA publishers and journals (BMC, Hindarwi, PLoS, New
Journal of Physics, etc) and about the level of the most
unsuccessful OA publishers (mainly hybrid options from larger
publishers - and here I use 'successful' as meaning attracting
authors and revenues to the publisher).  So certainly at this
stage and based on the modelling done it would look as if a move
to OA would save money - at least for the UK.

The second is on publisher flexibility.  I do not recognise the
picture of flexible, rapidly reactive large commercial publishers
rushing to embrace Gold OA. Let's take Elsevier.  They have a
hybrid model with very low take-up (they tell us) - I assume
partly because it is priced to defend revenues, not attracted
authors.  They have a tiny number of actual open access journals.
There is no gold rush there.  Of the large publishers only
Springer (a private equity company) appears to have embraced OA,
having purchased BMC and now using that experience as a
spring-board to launch a number of new OA titles.  And perhaps
Nature as one of the smaller companies (although it is part of a
much larger group).

Where Sandy sees commercial publishers as being quick on their
feet, I see feet dragging.  And why is that?  Well, if you were
sitting on a diamond mine providing over 30% profits what would
your reaction be to somebody who came and said 'Have I got a deal
for you - get rid of your diamond mine and take up this great
gold mine.  I can give you, say, 20% profits'?  Any chief
executive who took that proposition to their shareholders would
be quickly looking for a new job!

David

http://www.rin.ac.uk/our-work/communicating-and-disseminating-research/heading-open-road-costs-and-benefits-transitions-s