Re: Librarians who pay for nothing (Re: Economics of Green OA)

Sandy,

if the end users would benefit, than the effect is not so bad,
right ;-)) ?

I think librarians should be more self-confident when standing
conflicts about acquisition decisions and should be more
self-confident regarding the influence they can have with budget
decisions.  If enough libraries  stop supporting publications in
hybrid journals, than this model will vanish, if enough libraries
don't buy e-books with stupid licensing models, than this models
(or publishers) will vanish ...

If we don't want to be at the mercy of publishers in the OA world
(if there will be publishers in the OA world is another
discussion), than we have to make clear, what kind of  models and
prices we accept, and which not. I think the rules of the DFG go
in the right direction (only support of real OA, no support for
hybrid models, quality control, price limit for journal
articles).

Otherwise I agree, that transparency will not be better and costs
will probably not be any less to the old subsciption based
system.

Dirk Pieper