Re: Librarians who pay for nothing (Re: Economics of Green OA)

For arXiv have you considered charging a modest fee for
researchers to upload articles to the service, say, $50?  This
fee can be much lower than that charged for PLOS or Sage Open
among others because arXiv does not have an editorial review
program that rejects many articles. The service would still be
open access.

I did a back-of-the-envelope projection on this a few years ago,
working with numbers that IO had seen somewhere.  As I recall,
the assumption was that the number of articles submitted would
drop by 10% and that the resultant annual revenue would come to
$2.5 million. Please correct me if these numbers seem crazy; I am
working from memory.

Of course, with revenue of that magnitude, arXiv could also
expand further; and it would also free up funds at philanthropies
and universities that were asked to support arXiv, money that
could be put to use elsewhere.

arXiv is a great service for the community it serves.  I don't
see why a modest submission should not be on the table for
discussion.

Incidentally, moving to this plan would significantly reduce the
overhead, paid or otherwise, of managing arXiv.  No need for all
those governance committees, all that time that would have to go
into fairness issues.  A submission payment system can be
completely automated; bits are free.  Committees, on the other
hand, are not free and have a way of spawning even more
committees.

Joe Esposito