Elsevier response to OpenAccess.se statement

Dear Colleagues,

At Elsevier we have noted the statement issued by the Steering
Committee for OpenAccess.SE following its meeting on 23 May, and
would welcome the opportunity to clarify some items and respond.
First, let me say that we have always welcomed the opportunity
for dialogue with the Steering Committee.  Indeed, we have worked
successfully in partnership with many organisations that share
our vision for universal access to information of high-quality
and in ways sustainable for all stakeholders in scholarly
communications

We would like to clarify that Elsevier's posting policy is not in
fact new, although we have been making a very conscious efforts
to communicate it more clearly in recent months.  The policy
supports our vision of universal access to high-quality
information in the following ways:

*Our journal authors are able to use copies of their articles in
a broad variety of ways.  For example authors can make copies of
their article for personal use, for their own classroom teaching
use, to distribute or email to research colleagues and for the
personal use of those colleagues, to distribute to delegates at
meetings, to post a pre-print on websites and pre-print servers,
and to post voluntarily the accepted manuscript version on a
personal or institutional web site or server for scholarly
purposes. (More details are available at
www.elsevier.com/access/).  Our usage policies are among the most
responsive to author needs in the STM publishing industry.

*We believe the voluntary posting of manuscripts is an acceptable
practice for authors, and that both institutions and publishers
should respect their choices. The systematic posting of
manuscripts, for example because of a mandate to post, is only
agreeable if done in ways that are sustainable for the underlying
journal.

*Our first systematic posting agreements have been with funding
bodies and date back to 2005.  Authors funded by organizations
such as Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) and NIH could not
have complied with the systematic posting policies of these
funding bodies under the terms of our voluntary posting policy,
so we created agreements or arrangements with those funders to
enable authors to comply in ways that we believed would be
sustainable.

*Embargo periods are a feature of these agreements or
arrangements.  The embargo periods are journal specific and
differ according to the varied usage patterns that exist across
science and social science areas. A high percentage of these are
for a 12 month period, predominantly in life and health sciences,
but in other areas such as mathematics and social sciences longer
embargo periods of typically 24 or 36 months are necessary to
ensure the sustainability of the underlying journals.

*During the period when the embargo period would apply to posted
manuscripts there is wide availability of articles.  93% of
researchers surveyed in academic institutions reported that they
are satisfied with access to research information in journal
articles (Access vs. Importance, A global study assessing the
importance of and ease of access to professional and academic
information Phase I Results, Publishing Research Consortium,
October 2010 - 4,109 respondents). However we are not complacent
with even this great result, and systematically identify and
close access gaps in sustainable ways through programmes such as
Research4Life which provides free and very low cost access to
researchers in the world's poorest countries.  We also have an
extremely active program of pilots to provide innovative access
services to members of the public, patients and their families,
people working in small and medium sized businesses, students,
etc.

We believe that author rights agreements and subscription
agreements should be kept separate, but we are of course very
happy to talk with BIBSAM or other organizations in Sweden (and,
indeed, elsewhere) about either topic.  Please note that as our
early systematic posting agreements have been with funding
bodies, we are still in test-and-learn mode for institutional
agreements.  We are therefore currently running a pilot program
and would be willing to work with a small number of Swedish
institutions as part of this program.

Organizations that need but do not yet have, or do not want, a
systematic posting agreement are asked to work with us to
minimize unauthorized distribution and use of journal article, in
line with the following Elsevier policies:

*www.elsevier.com/copyright

*www.elsevier.com/postingpolicy

We understand the role that public access to research can have in
enabling society to progress, and we're always happy to work with
research institutions to find ways of achieving access objectives
in sustainable ways.

With best wishes,

Alicia

Dr Alicia Wise