New Publishers Join Books at JSTOR

Of possible interest:

Research Quality and Breadth Deepen as New Publishers Join Books
at JSTOR

June 24, 2011 - New York, NY

Thirteen publishers including leading not-for-profit research
institutes, international organizations, university presses, and
independent publishers are the latest to join Books at JSTOR, an
initiative that will add more than 20,000 ebooks to one of the
most widely used and well-known online academic resources in the
world.

The publishers announced today include: Boydell & Brewer,
Brookings Institution Press, Edinburgh University Press,
University of Illinois Press, Indiana University Press, The
University of Michigan Press, The National Academies Press,
Pennsylvania State University Press, RAND Corporation, Russell
Sage Foundation, University of Texas Press, University of Toronto
Press, and United Nations Publications.

"We are thrilled that this set of publishers has chosen to work
with us," said Laura Brown, JSTOR Managing Director. "Delivering
deeply linked, vital scholarly research to libraries, scholars,
and students worldwide is our number one goal. With these new
partners and the nine already on board, we are laying the
foundation for a collaboration that will offer a transformative
integration of book and journal literature that can enable new
models for scholarly communication in the future."

The publishers announced today bring valuable, new dimensions to
Books at JSTOR. Those focused on public research and policy
initiatives will contribute books that bridge the divide between
theory and practice, an addition that will help JSTOR to better
support the collection development needs of its wide range of
academic, government, and non-governmental participating
institutions.

"Discoverability is essential for our books to be read and have
impact," commented Barbara Kline Pope, Executive Director of the
National Academies Press. "Books at JSTOR will enhance our
efforts to achieve this by ensuring that our e-books are found by
our core audiences of faculty and researchers throughout the
world who already use JSTOR for their work."

Similarly, Edinburgh University Press and University of Toronto
Press, as well as Boydell & Brewer and the multi-national United
Nations, are the first of what JSTOR and its partners hope will
be a growing set of publishers outside the United States that
will bring the best thinking and writing of researchers and
policy makers from around the world to the initiative.

"The unprecedented speed of change in the electronic publishing
environment presents both challenges and significant
opportunities for publishers," noted Timothy Wright, Chief
Executive of Edinburgh University Press "Our partnership with
JSTOR, with their experience working with a global network of
libraries and scholars, will enable Edinburgh to continue to
innovate in how we sell and how users experience our books and
our journals."

This news comes on the heels of a round of workshops hosted by
JSTOR and its press partners with nearly 100 librarians in cities
around the United States.  These sessions brought publishers and
librarians together to tackle hard issues that both parties have
faced in the transition from the publication and dissemination of
books from print to electronic formats, from supporting
short-term lending of ebooks to making course reserve titles
available online.  The aim is to build a deeper, shared
understanding of library and press interests and to craft and
test new solutions that will work well for both groups.

Greg Raschke, Associate Director for Collections and Scholarly
Communication for the North Carolina State University Libraries
and a participant at a workshop noted: "JSTOR's efforts to bring
librarians and publishers together come at a critical time for
the future of scholarly publishing. The dialog has been
productive as we collectively search for sustainable business
models and attempt to effectively migrate to digital platforms in
ways that benefit research and teaching."

Books at JSTOR now has twenty-two publisher partners
<http://about.jstor.org/books> and expects to launch with close
to 30 presses.  The first books will be available at JSTOR
beginning in June 2012. All books will be preserved in Portico,
the leading digital preservation service for the scholarly
community. For more information, please read about Books at JSTOR

<http://about.jstor.org/news-events/news/research-quality-and-breadth-deepen-new-publishers-join-books-jstor>

[End]

Contact:

JSTOR, a part of ITHAKA