RE: Peggy Hoon on licenses

I see your point, Peggy, but I don't think it solves the problem.
There still remains ambiguity about what the boundary between
noncommercial and commercial is, and as long as that ambiguity
exists, anyone thinking that a subsequent use is noncommercial is
subject to challenge by the copyright owner whose interpretation
of the term may differ.

Thus, the editor of an anthology may think that the copyright
owner of the article included in the anthology is only due a fee
for its appearance in the print edition that is for sale, while
the online publication of it is free to the end user and
hence--in the editor's opinion--noncommercial. The author of the
article may well want to dispute this point and argue that the
online use facilitates sale and is therefore commercial at least
indirectly.

The only way I see of solving this problem is to do what
publishers do, viz., enumerate just what subsidiary uses are
included within the scope of the contract. In the case of the CC
license, this would mean spelling out just what the copyright
owner means by "noncommercial." But then the CC license loses
some of its effectiveness as a simple tool for universal use;
each CC license might list different uses as "noncommercial."

Sandy Thatcher