RE: Peggy Hoon on licenses

The reason that a clause prohibiting commercial use (e.g. the
relevant BioOne clause, or the clause to be found in the model
licences on www.licensingmodels.org) is commonplace is that
publishers are striving to establish a level playing field in the
context of very varied provisions in each nation's local
copyright law.  Remember that scholarly publishing is a global
activity.

The UK and the US provide good examples.  'Fair use' under US law
grants a right provided the four conditions set out in the
statute are met, while 'fair dealing' under UK law is a defence
to a claim for breach of copyright. UK law also specifies that
use by a commercial entity or use for any commercial purpose
(even by a charity) removes that defence. Including a provision
in a licence irons out those differences, and also provides some
certainty.  The contract - the licence is a contract - governs
the parties' conduct.

Relying simply on copyright law, particularly in relation to the
vagueness of the four tests in US law, risks copyright disputes
that might end up in litigation - costly and unpredictable.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden