RE: open access to dissertations

Good library sales of the books by Okin and Evans are not
surprises. In the era in which they were published, there was no
practice of discriminating against revised dissertations, and
they sold on average about as many copies as other books in their
fields. They were also heavily used in courses, which accounted
for them surpassing the 20,000 level.

I understand that information accessible to librarians is limited
at the time of purchase. It is a shame that there is not some way
to make the information about what revisions were made to a
dissertation in transforming it into a book available to
librarians. Maybe that could somehow be added to the book's
metadata? Choice, of course, does review many books within six
months after publication. And there are now many more online
journals that review books much more does an excellent job of
reviewing many books in that field within only a few months after
publication. This increasing availability of authoritative
assessments earlier in the process than traditionally was the
case ought to help PDA work better, too. And I hope librarians
will decide to order revised dissertations that fit their
collections later in the cycle even if they are automatically
excluded from approval plans at the outset.

Of course, publishers make mistakes. In the files at Princeton i
discovered that the Press had turned down Herbert Marcuse's
"One-Dimensional Man," which became a best seller for another
publisher, on the basis of a report written by--would you believe
it?--John Rawls. (I later tried, but missed, persuading Rawls to
publish his "Theory of Justice" with Princeton, which was his
alma mater.) Every publisher has his or her favorite story like
this of "one that got away."

Sandy Thatcher '65