RE: open access to dissertations

I assume the book priced at $107 you cite was not published by a
university press (at least a real one, not the University Press
of America). Typical prices for monographs published by Penn
State Press during the twenty years (1989-2009) I was director
there ranged between $35 and $75, with $55 being about the norm
for a book of 250 to 300 pages.

European-based scholarly publishers have taken a different
approach to pricing monographs from American publishers, pricing
them to break even on institutional sales of a few hundred copies
and not caring at all whether the books ever sell to individuals.
U.S. presses have generally resisted this approach, trying
instead to break even at lower hardback prices and publishing
more titles in paperback to maximize distribution of copies.

The digital era has changed only one thing, really: it has
provided a way for publishers to keep books in print forever, and
to take advantage of the "long tail" of sales. Digital printing
is actually more expensive on a per unit basis, unless you are
printing 200 copies or fewer (at which point offset printing
becomes uneconomical to use at all). Some 75% of the costs of
publishing a book are independent of physical format, so even if
publishing electronically had a zero cost (which it most
certainly does not), prices could at most be reduced 25%.

Prices of monographs have actually escalated at a rate far lower
than STM journal prices, even though STM journal subscriptions
have resulted in reduction of sales of monographs from several
thousand in the 1960s to several hundred today. Given that sharp
drop in sales, it is surprising that prices have not risen a
great deal higher.

Sandy Thatcher