RE: open access to dissertations

Sandy,

Librarians are not more or less ignorant or omniscient than any
other profession, including publishers. What librarians rarely
have (besides sufficient $$) is the time or the information to
know what will--and I use your word here--**become** a classic,
unless there is a good deal of advance conversation about a book.
Selectors can almost never wait for reviews to appear (two years
in many cases, well after initial print runs have been sold) and
need to make timely decisions based on conversations with
scholars and colleagues. Selectors often work from jobbers' slips
or databases that pull in ONIX feeds. Titles like those you
mention are going to be bought. According to OCLC, Okin's book is
held in over 1,400 libraries, including mine, and Evans' work is
in around 800, again including mine. It appears that many good
decisions are in fact being made.

Scholars themselves are not always aware of great new scholarship
and not all publishing decisions are great, either (think of
publishers who turn down great new work, or titles that get
published that frankly shouldn't have been). Publishers' catalogs
praise all new titles. I think it's a bit much to ask that
librarians be more discriminating than the rest. Surprisingly,
libraries seem to do a fair job buying what you sell and
providing it to scholars who are delighted to discover it.

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Resources
Dartmouth College Library
6025 Baker Library, Rm. 115
Hanover, NH, USA
elizabeth.e.kirk@dartmouth.edu