UKSG rebrands Serials and announces new editors

Dear all,

*with apologies for cross-posting*

I thought this news about changes at UKSG's journal might be of
interest to liblicense-rs - all the details are below; please do
just get in touch if you have any concerns or questions.

All best wishes,

_____________________

Charlie Rapple
Chair, UKSG Marketing Subcommittee

Head of Marketing Development
TBI Communications
_____________________

UKSG, the international organisation that connects the knowledge
community, has announced a new name and new joint editors for its
flagship journal, Serials: connecting the information community.
The new name, Insights: connecting the knowledge community, was
chosen from 125 submissions to a competition for UKSG members,
won by Jane Harvell, Head of Academic Services at the University
of Sussex Library.

The title change will take effect from volume 25, 2012, while the
new editors, Lorraine Estelle (Chief Executive of JISC
Collections) and Steve Sharp (Resource Acquisition Team Leader at
the University of Leeds) will co-edit the journal from volume 24,
2011 and have already delivered their first issue (online now).

This first issue under the new editors helps to demonstrate the
rationale for renaming the journal; it includes coverage of
issues as diverse as usage statistics, open data, e-books and
image collections, along with an innovative 'day in the life'
feature drawn entirely from Twitter postings. "Serials has, for
some time, been expanding into a much broader remit than its name
would imply," explains outgoing co-editor Dr Hazel Woodward, who
is to become Chair of UKSG's Publications Subcommittee. "When we
surveyed our members, it became clear that while people
understood the evolution in scope of UKSG as an organisation,
they didn't necessarily recognise that the same was true for
Serials - hence it was becoming inappropriately pigeonholed."

Incoming co-editor Steve Sharp continues, "Partly for that
reason, we wanted to involve the members in renaming Serials.
We're delighted that in Insights: connecting the knowledge
community, we have found a title that so aptly reflects the role
of the journal today, as well as our vision for its future." The
organisation will work with members and suppliers throughout the
remainder of 2011 to ensure a smooth transition to the new title.

UKSG would like to publicly record its thanks to outgoing editors
Hazel Woodward and Helen Henderson for their many years of
dedication to the development of Serials. We look forward to
ongoing success as Insights: connecting the knowledge community!

http://www.uksg.org/news/insights11

****