Re: open access to dissertations

For those of you who cannot access the full article, I'll reprint
my comment on it here:

I addressed this question in "Dissertations into Books? The Lack of
Logic in the System" (Against the Grain, April 2007), which can be
found at Penn State Press's web site here:

http://www.psupress.org/news/S

There, pace "mbelvadi," I provided the evidence of librarians
refusing to purchase books based on dissertations. They do so
simply by instructing vendors like Yankee Book Peddler to look
for evidence (in the book's Acknowledgments, e.g., or in
ProQuest's database by author/title) that the book originated as
a dissertation and they then exclude such books from inclusion in
their approval plans. Estimates of the effects on sales vary,
with reductions ranging from 20% to 40%.

I examined the titles in Latin American studies published by Penn
State Press, when I was director there (1989-2009), and found a
difference in average sale between books based on dissertations
and those not so based at the lower end of this range. So there
is a demonstrable effect. The problem was even worse, no doubt,
when ProQuest had an agreement with Amazon to sell dissertations;
I understand that this will begin again soon.

It is because of this effect that we initiated the practice at
Penn State of asking every author of a revised dissertation to
explain in detail the differences between dissertation and book.
While those differences are often very substantial indeed,
unfortunately librarians who control approval plans do not have
access to this information and therefore do not act upon it; it
suffices for them that the author did write a dissertation on the
subject to exclude it from the approval plan. Knowing of this
practice by librarians, which is "rational" from their point of
view, editors for publishers "rationally" decide not to consider
books based on dissertations for publication.

Yet tenure committees continue, "rationally" from their
standpoint, to require a book or two for award of tenure. Such
subsystem-level rationality adds up to systemic dysfunctionality,
which can only be repaired by intervention from top
administrators, which sadly has not been forthcoming. As the date
on my article indicates, this is not a new problem; the origins
of it go back at least a decade.

Sandy Thatcher