RE: Another Poynder Eye-Opener on Open Access

Richard Poynder's interviews and analyses are usually interesting
to read, but with this one something seems not quite right.

What is perhaps most disturbing is that the analysis attributes
to PLoS One an impact on scholarly communication, which no matter
whether you think it causal or unintended, it cannot possibly
have.  PLoS One is a large journal, but it is only one journal.
As such it may be responding to changes in scholarly
communication and/or in demand from authors, but surely one
cannot attribute to a journal (or publisher) the force to change
a system. If other publishers are now imitating PLoS One, and
these new journals are similarly successful (...I have doubts
that they correctly understand what makes PLoS One successful,
hence I am skeptical), then this would call for a deeper analysis
of shifts in the scholarly communication system - which is not
made by publishers but overwhelmingly shaped by the academic
system.

A second point of irritation is the criticism of peer review at
PLoS One. The examples that Richard Poynder analyzes may show
that peer reviewers at PLoS One do make errors. But, as we all
know, a) there is some evidence that the correlation between peer
review judgements and later article impact is very low (or
non-existent); b) that peer reviewers have difficulties with
papers that are not clear-cut cases of accept or reject; c) hype,
fraud and other issues have hit many journals, including very
prestigious ones.

The best indicator we have that the peer review system is working
is the impact factor of a journal. It was widely believed that
PLoS one would not get one. Then it did, and the IF was much
higher than expected. We may surmise that this persuaded other
publishers to think of similar projects. We can debate whether
the type of peer review that PLoS One does is desirable. But we
should note that the authors submitting to PLoS One seem
comfortable enough - and these authors are also readers. And the
IF will reassure them that - on the whole - peer review at PLoS
One is working.

A third point are the comments on post-publication peer review
and 'hyping'. PLoS One clearly overestimated the appetite of
scholars to comment online (and, it may be noted, reviewers are
not keen to have reviews attributed to them publicly). However,
the most important post-publication review has always been
whether an article gets taken up by colleagues (or is bashed). If
scholars hype their articles, they are likely to get more
attention, but also more scrutiny, public criticism,
counter-studies and so on - particularly if colleagues are not
persuaded. More generally, tougher competition for funding and
tenure induces authors to advertise. OA publishing supports this
because the version of record is available to all immediately.
But this also means that all can immediately scrutinize the HTML
version of the article. Authors and peer reviewers may misjudge
the validity and/or significance of results (and authors hype
them) but open access publishing also means that this is more
likely to be noticed and made public for all to see. In this
sense, PLoS One is more transparent and under greater pressure
that a (second-tier) subscription journal.

Chris Armbruster