Re: Another Poynder Eye-Opener on Open Access

Well, I wouldn't call it a subsidy, as the term carries the
connotation that there is something wrong with it.  In any event,
your experience at Penn State Press is different from PLOS in
that PLOS owes its (economic) success to the fact that it is a
branded service: the flagship journals and PLOS One share the
PLOS name.  With books, people rarely note the name or brand of
the publisher; and with many journals, the branding is on the
level of the individual title (which, of course, in some
instances may bear a publisher's name).  PLOS invested heavily in
building the PLOS brand, without which I doubt PLOS One would
have been nearly as successful.

Joe Esposito