Re: Business models for U. presses

I share Joe's assessment of this report, which is one of the best
ever issued by the AAUP. Among its valuable contributions are its
clarification of the kinds of "value added" that publishers bring
to the scholarly communication process (still not well understood
by many librarians, as comments on this and other listservs have
revealed), its analysis of how the OA approaches of two
non-profit presses at RAND and the National Academies are unqie
in ways that make their direct application at most university
presses problematic or at least not straightforward, and the
emphasis on the need for greater collaboration than ever among
all the participants in the scholarly communication ecosystem if
the system is to survive and flourish in the future. Also, if you
ever harbored the illusion that e-publishing is a whole lot
cheaper than print publishing, this report will be a wakeup call
for you!

Sandy Thatcher