Re: Open Access Citation Impact Advantage: weight of the evidence

The idea of an OA citation advantage is - and has been from the
start - a complete red herring. If the benefit of OA is reduced
to a citation advantage, it is doomed to fail. OA is about making
the fruits of scholarly research more widely useful, even beyond
the ivory towers of the traditional academic ego-systems.

'Prestige' may be gained from citations, but the 'usefulness' of
an article is not determined by the citations it gets. In more
applied areas of science, there may even be an inverse
relationship between usefulness and "impact as measured by
citations." Areas such as tropical diseases, for instance. The
lack of an unambiguously clear OA citation advantage (in spite of
frantic attempts to show there is) might well come from the
relatively large proportion of OA articles being in just those
practical, applied fields, where articles are used in the field
(take that literally) rather than cited. Maybe someone on this
list has the time to find out. And if those articles are 'cited',
it is more likely to be in an email from one researcher to
another: "You must read this, Joe, it's really useful. I'm
attaching the article; it's OA."

Jan Velterop