RE: Open Access Citation Impact Advantage: weight of the evidence

Hi All

Sandy, perhaps your comment about Heather's "claim" is more
flippant in its reading that you intended.

The article that she refers to is a literature review showing the
current (2010) status of research in the area.  It is perfectly
acceptable to refer to a literature review to back up an argument
- that is standard procedure in ANY academic discourse.  The
whole POINT of a literature review is to gather all relevant
information on the topic so that we do not have situation where
people refer to a single study to make a generalisation.  If
you're going to knock the concept of a literature review as
having any value or validity, then you're about to go up against
a few hundred thousand researchers.

While we can argue about "truth" ("What is truth?"), when we have
a situation that a literature review shows more studies
indicating X than Y, then X has the strongest standing.
Otherwise, there would be little point to the review.  So, yes,
Heather's argument appears as solid as any.

If you want, you can question the process of the review.  This
review, however, explains exactly the search process, so has
complete transparency.  The only way to criticise it would be if
you questioned the search process (terms, data bases, etc) or
interpretations of the results.  For the first, you would need to
demonstrate a legitimate alternative that would provide
materially different results; for the 2nd, you would need to
analyse the studies yourself, and again indicate that your
analysis showed materially different results.  (Personally, I
would have preferred it if the results were laid out as a
meta-analysis, but that is personal preference only, and I can't
see any reason to believe that it would materially affect the
interpretation.)

Until that point has been reached, however, I see no valid reason
to question the review, or Heather's argument.

Worse, you only counter has been shown in the review by using an
opinion based on a personal perception.  While you're entitled to
your opinion, it can surely only hold water if you back it up
with research - and I'd suggest a literature review (and/or a
large-scale study of your own) would probably be the most
powerful road to follow.  Until then, I'm afraid, it's only
speculation vs. research.

Regards

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education