APS Online Journals Available Free in U.S. High Schools

American Physical Society Online Journals Available Free in U.S.
High Schools

Ridge, NY, 9 February 2011 - The American Physical Society (APS)
announces a new public access initiative that will give high
school students and teachers in the United States full use of all
online APS journals, from the most recent articles back to the
first issue in 1893, a collection including over 400,000
scientific research papers.  APS will provide access to its
journals, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review, and Reviews
of Modern Physics, at no cost, as a contribution to public
engagement with the ongoing development of scientific
understanding.  The high school program is a natural follow on to
last summer's offering to U.S. public libraries. "When we made
our journals freely available to public libraries, we were
happily surprised to receive requests for access from high
schools as well," said APS Publisher Joseph Serene. "We are now
delighted to share our journals and their archive with interested
secondary school students and teachers."

"We want to foster the interest of high school students in the
primary scientific literature. Some of it will be beyond their
reach, but there are also papers such as the invention of the
transistor and laser diode that can pique the interest of many
high school students," said Gene Sprouse, APS Editor in Chief.

High school teachers or librarians can obtain access by accepting
a simple online site license and providing valid IP addresses of
public-use computers in their high school or high school library
https://librarians.aps.org/account/public_access_new. The license
requires that users be in the high school when they read the APS
journals online or download articles.  Initially the program is
limited to the U.S., but it may be extended to high schools in
other countries in the future.

"We've been excited to obtain access to the online APS journals,
since we heard about the program for public libraries," said
Becca Ferrick, head librarian at Thomas Jefferson High School for
Science and Technology in Alexandria, VA. "Our students and
faculty look forward to using these valuable resources to support
our science curriculum and student research."

About APS: The American Physical Society (www.aps.org) is a
non-profit membership organization working to advance and diffuse
the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research
journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy
and international activities.  APS represents 48,000 members,
including physicists in academia, national laboratories and
industry in the United States and throughout the world.  Society
offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge,
NY, and Washington, DC.