Re: More on Open Access citations

The M & S article needs to be read more clearly. This is not
about open access, it is about online access. Journals have gone
online at various intervals in the past 15 years. Using a variant
of Evans and Reimer's (rather flawed) methodology, M & S tested
whether the increased ease of access -- online vs on paper --
made any difference to citations, and it didn't.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Open Access. OA is about
providing access to those who don't have subscription access;
this paper is about providing online access to those who had
subscription access before, but on paper, and now have online
access. Moreover, it is in a field (economics) where there is
wide posting of OA preprints (not taken into account at all).

Conclusion, in increasing *ease* of access for subscribers (by
making subscribed content accessible to subscribers online
instead of just on paper) does not increase citations (in a field
where preprints are widely available OA).

This says nothing about OA, where the free online access only
makes a difference to users who do *not* have institutional
subscription access: *That*'s where the OA citation advantage
comes from.

The authors (for some bizarre reason -- probably because their
economic modeling work is done mostly from the publisher's point
of view) draw the conclusion that it is not in the author's
economic interest to pay extra to publish in an OA journal (where
did OA journals come into this?) because it does not buy him more
citations.

The evidence for the OA advantage comes from comparing articles
in the
same (*subscription*) journal, same year, that have and have not
been
made OA by their authors.

M & S (for unknown reasons) cite and repeat Phil Davis's
non-replication
of the OA advantage in his small sample of biology journals. They
don't
mention recent studies, including the one showing that the
mandated OA
advantage is just as big as the self-selected OA advantage. So
they
simply repeat the hypothesis that the OA advantage is just a
self-selection advantage because of the tendency of better
authors/papers to be made OA...

Chrs, Stevan