Re: More on Open Access citations

The absolutely fascinating thing about the paper by Mark McCabe
and Chris Snyder is that it appears to show that there is, in
general, no citation advantage accruing to online content.  Not
just to online, open access content, but to any online content.
Phil makes this clear in the title of his blog post, and it is
only here that the subject is narrowed somewhat to only open
access citations.

If McCabe and Snyder are right then the widening of access
through big deals, third-party intermediates, and open access has
made no difference to citation rates.  Are access and citations
so disconnected that an increase in one has no effect on the
other?   Is it really the case that none of the business models
for online access have increased citations?  Intriguing.

(There is a JSTOR twist in the results; read the paper for
details.)

David