Re: PLoS ONE: now the world's largest journal?

Regarding the figures presented by Heather: the actual number of
articles published to date is 15,813 (you can find the number by
using the advanced search), so I guess it is not yet the largest
journal.

Regarding the size/usability issue, my view is that online
journals are different as they appear to the user more like a
portal than a traditional journal, and therefore there is an
argument that "the larger the better" - as you can get more hits
on your subject search.

Whilst I am a fan of the methodology used by PLoSOne (accept
things that are methodologically correct but not necessarily
"interesting/novel") and the model is being echoed by other
publishers (e.g. American Inst, of Physics with AIP Advances,
BioMedCentral with BMC Research Notes, and Sage with Sage Notes),
I recently heard an alternative viewpoint. The speaker said that
such methodology will ultimately lead to a lowering of quality
and a downward spiral (fewer readers trusting the articles, fewer
good articles being submitted, etc), and that Brain Research used
this model in the 1980s to the detriment of its quality and
prestige.

Hmm, I wonder if the model will prove that the traditional
editorial role (selecting for prestige/interest) will be
vindicated or if this really is a new era.

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
email: pippa.smart@gmail.com
Web: www.pspconsulting.org

****