Re: PLoS ONE: now the world's largest journal?

In a world in which researchers rely more and more on search and
'literature networking' (by which I mean citations and 'related
articles' offered by various services, such as for instance
PubMed), it seems to me that browsing takes a back seat. To the
extent that it does happen, it's not likely to be confined to
single journals. To an author, the notion of a journal may still
have value, to the reader the significance of a journal is
quickly vanishing and articles are regarded as being in one big
pool from which they can be retrieved. In that pool the journal
is merely one of the 'labels' attached to the article. Chopping
up the body of articles into journals may soon be regarded not as
a benefit or convenience, but as an irritation, as unwelcome
fragmentation.

PLoS One is implicitly challenging both the conventional notion
of a journal (though they still call it a journal - and it's
probably one of the few real 'journals' in that they publish
literally daily, which is what 'journal' means) and the idea of
journals confining themselves to a well-circumscribed topic (with
few exceptions). Their model is shaping the future, and their
success - including copycats such as Nature's Science Reports
(clever title in view of their competition with Science) - is
testimony to that.

Jan Velterop