The long, wrong road to Open Access

** Cross-Posted **

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Stancliffe, Andrew <astancl --
library.ucla.edu> wrote on liblicense:

> The UCLA Library is working with a faculty member here who has
> submitted an article to the journal Sleep.  We advised the author
> to modify the author's agreement, using the SPARC author's
> addendum, to retain copyright. The author received a reply from
> Sleep, which rejected the change, stating "I have never heard of
> any journal doing this.  Sleep would not publish any paper it
> does not hold copyright to."
>
> We're curious to know if anyone on the list has negotiated with
> Sleep in the past and what their experiences have been.  Thanks
> for any input you can give us.

This is the royal road to decades and decades more of lost
research access, progress and impact.

It is the equivalent of trying to combat smoking by trying to
persuade smokers to write individually to tobacco companies to
ask them to manufacture fewer cigarettes.

(1) The goal is to provide Open Access, not to modify author
copyright agreements.

(2) The SPARC author addendum is much too strong in any case:
gratuitously and self-defeatingly strong:

(3) No publisher permission is required by authors to deposit the
full-text of their refereed, revised, accepted final drafts in
their own institutional repositories, immediately upon acceptance
for publication.

(4) The bibliographic metadata (author, date, title, journal,
etc.) are in any case immediately accessible to all would-be
users.

(5) The majority of journals (including just about all the top
journals) have already formally endorsed setting access to the
full text of the deposit as Open Access immediately upon deposit.

(6) If, for the remaining minority of journals, the author wishes
to observe a publisher embargo on Open Access, access to the
deposit full-text can be set to "Closed Access" rather than "Open
Access" during the embargo, and the author can email eprints to
would-be users on request.

(7) This provides immediate Open Access to the majority of
deposits plus "Almost Open Access" to the remaining minority,
thereby providing for all immediate research usage needs and
ensuring -- once it is being done universally -- that embargoes
will die their natural, well-deserved deaths soon thereafter,
under the growing pressure from the universal deposits, the
palpable benefits of the majority Open Access and the contrasting
anomaly of the minority of embargoed access and the needless
inconvenience and delay of individual email eprint requests.

(8) But the best author strategy of all is to make all deposits
immediately Open Access today, and to decide whether or not to
Close Access to any one of them only if and when they ever
receive a take-down notice from the publisher.

Authors will not receive publisher take-down notices because
publishers (unlike authors, and librarians) already know very
well today that trying to do that would soon lose them their
authorships, who would migrate to the majority of journals that
endorse immediate Open Access deposit. This has already proved
true for the two decades'-worth of successful and unchallenged
"don't-ask" deposits that we already have behind us -- at least
two million of them, by computer scientists on their
institutional websites and by physicists in Arxiv. With universal
deposit (and especially with universal institutional and funder
mandates to deposit) the incentive for publishers to request
take-down is even lower.

So, to repeat: giving authors the exceedingly bad advice that
what they should do, if they wish to provide Open Access to their
articles, is to attempt to modify their copyright agreements
(along the lines of the SPARC author addendum) one-by-one is not
only advice that is doomed to fail in many instances (and not
even to be tried in most), but it is diverting attention and
efforts from the real solution. Making the attempt to modify
author's copyright agreement can be quasi-mandated (as it is by
Harvard, MIT and a few other institutions following their
example), by reserving copyright in a blanket default
institutional contract predating and hence mooting all subsequent
contracts with publishers, but only at the cost of allowing the
author the option to opt out of the prior blanket institutional
copyright reservation contract in the face of -- or in
anticipation of -- non-acceptance by the publisher.

It is for this reason that Harvard has (sensibly) adopted a
simultaneous immediate-deposit mandate -- with no opt-out option
-- alongside its copyright reservation policy. But a little
reflection on this will make it apparent that the real work is
being done by the immediate-deposit mandate, and the attempt to
modify the copyright agreement with the author continues to be
just a hit-or-miss affair, even if beefed up by the option of
institutional contractual backing.

UC has only the blanket institutional copyright reservation
policy, with the opt-out option, and no accompanying deposit
mandate without opt-out; nor does UCLA have a deposit mandate of
its own. Hence there one-by-one attempts, like UCLA's, to modify
copyright are not only a hit-or-miss affair, but a colossal and
quixotic strategic error, and a doomed and disheartening waste of
precious time (and research uptake and impact).

What OA advocates worldwide should be using all their energy to
bring about is the adoption of an immediate-deposit mandate. That
done, it no longer matters that one-by-one copyright modification
efforts are a drop in the bucket, because the deposit mandate
will be doing the real work, providing Open Access (to the
majority of an institution's annual articles, and
Almost-Open-Access to the rest) and setting the right example for
other institutions. Once immediate deposit mandates scale up
globally, publisher copyright contracts will adapt to the new
reality as a matter of natural course.

But if we instead keep pinning our hopes and efforts on
one-by-one, hit-and-miss attempts by authors to modify copyright
contracts, the ride is destined to be a long and possibly endless
one.

It is almost as amazing as it is appalling how long the academic
community keeps heading off in all directions except the right
one when it comes to Open Access: publishing reform ("gold OA"),
copyright reform, peer review reform -- every road but the very
one that the online era has opened up for us, the road that made
Open Access itself conceivable, possible, and immediately
reachable: universal author self-archiving and self-archiving
mandates by their institutions and funders.

No; encouraging 1000 flowers to bloom has not helped: Instead, it
has distracted and diverted us from the swift and certain
solution; let's hope it does not keep it up for another 1000
days, months, or years...

For tried-and-tested policy guidance, please turn to
EnablingOpenScholarship. The wait has been long enough already:
http://www.openscholarship.org/

Stevan Harnad