Re: Interview with Springer's Derk Haank

Couple of reactions: smaller journal publishers can swim together
with the ALPSP Journal Collection - a mini-big (and
not-for-profit) deal; secondly, monograph publishers should (and
could) have reacted sooner to the realities of the way libraries
spend their money. It's no use complaining that libraries chose
to switch their spending away from monographs to journals and
then electronic information services (which is really what the
big deals are), the thing to do is to react and come up with a
compelling business model that librarians will respond to. As
I've said before, it is possible for monographs to be bundled
into big deals that offer as much value as e-journal collections,
it's something we've been doing for a decade and librarians have
responded - our sales (and dissemination) have grown year-on-year
since 2001. Other book publishers have done the same (e.g. OUP,
World Bank) - the key is to offer compelling value.  Monograph
bundles will work if the value is there -!

All it takes is for the smaller publishers to get together, start
bundling and offer better value than the big boys!

Toby Green
Head of Publishing, OECD
Chair, ALPSP