Author copyright issue (SLEEP)

Hello,

The UCLA Library is working with a faculty member here who has
submitted an article to the journal Sleep.  We advised the author
to modify the author's agreement, using the SPARC author's
addendum, to retain copyright. The author received a reply from
Sleep, which rejected the change, stating "I have never heard of
any journal doing this.  Sleep would not publish any paper it
does not hold copyright to."

We're curious to know if anyone on the list has negotiated with
Sleep in the past and what their experiences have been.  Thanks
for any input you can give us.

Andy Stancliffe
Digital Acquisitions Coordinator
UCLA Library