Re: Author copyright issue (SLEEP)

No experience with this particular title, but it is listed in
Sherpa Romeo as a "white" publisher, which does not allow author
archiving of either a pre-print or a post-print.  But they do
comply with the NIH public access mandate.

If your author wants to pursue this, I suggest she make two
points.  First, that the journal would hold most of the
copyright, with the author retaining only a limit license on the
reproduction and distribution rights.  Second, that the author
wants no more, and in fact less, than what they surrender for
NIH-sponsored articles.

I suspect the key language in the journal's response was "I have
never heard of this." it sounds like she was corresponding with
someone pretty uninformed.  Some gentle re-education may be
called for.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University