Re: End of Free Access in Bangladesh

Like David, I am very much saddened by this piece of news; but I
am not surprised. In fact, I have been expecting something like
this for quite some time. I have always been doubtful of
"charitable" moves: they can be arbitrarily and swiftly removed
for any pretext. This is the reason why, while commending the
efforts of the Hinari people who work hard on behalf of poor
countries, I could never feel completely secure and happy with
this programme. I also saw the Hinari approach as a way, for
publishers, to explore beachheads for a later commercial landing:
Hinari uptake allows for a precise monitoring of the state of
uptake in a national market. The intent is to transform it into
an operational commercial market at the first opportunity. In
this perspective, the process of scholarly and scientific
communication is viewed as necessarily embedded inside a
commercial, market driven agenda. The need to finance scientific
and scholarly communication is never imagined in any way other
than a market mechanism. And to make things worse, the market is
dominated by a few, powerful players acting together as an
oligopole close to a cartel.

Scientific communication is an infrastructural element of
scientific research and education. Like roads, it has to be
financed, but not necessarily according to market conditions. We
all have an inherent right to access and use roads, and,
likewise, scientists and scholars should have a right to access
all the validated research results of their colleagues.
Presently, we have a financing system that grossly distorts this
objective, all in the name of market fundamentalism. Toll roads
that are sometimes mentioned in an effort to disprove the above,
do not change the issue, even when run by private companies:
there are always alternative itineraries to reach a particular
destination. Not so with journals, unless their articles are
archived in OA depositories.

There is a deep lesson in the Bangladesh story, and we should
heed it. It underscores the fact that Open Access is needed more
than ever. With it, charitable attitudes will become superfluous,
and the humiliations accompanying such charitable moves will be a
thing of the past.

Jean-Claude Guedon