RE: Google Books

I was curious to use Google eBooks yesterday after the
announcement and so went through the motion of buying a book. I
got to the point where I was presented with the well-known "agree
to these terms" screen. Like most people, I pay no attention but
this time I was curious.

I started clicking down to page through the terms. When I
started, I noticed that the progress bar barely moved, so I kept
clicking and clicking and clicking. I started counting clicks. My
intent was to count to the end but I just got tired and got
worried about the battery on my wireless mouse...

Therefore based on my progress to the approximate half-way point,
my estimate is that if you wish to actually read the terms you're
agreeing to in buying a Google eBook, you will need to click
through about 500 times. Yes, 500. Occasionally, you will see
some Spanish and a little Chinese as you click by, but keep going
-- there is English all the way through and to the end.

Admittedly, the default screen text size for the terms was fairly
small but it was the default and I saw no way to expand the text
box.

Not sure what this says except that a lot of lawyers were clearly
involved. A lot of lawyers. I think it also says that it is
certainly not reasonable or expected that a rational, reasonable
user of Google eBooks who "agrees to the terms" will have any
idea or concept of what they are agreeing to.

-- David Carlson