Re: opening arXiv back-end was Re: Role of arXiv

I too think that in the unlikely event that Cornell did not
continue to operate arXiv, it would be taken up by others in the
community.

arXiv has long supported a set of mirror machines distributed
over the world and synchronized on a daily basis. We have 14 at
present which is probably rather more than we need for this
purpose but some time ago the mirrors also provided faster local
access (the evolution of the internet topology means that almost
everyone has fast access to the US so this does not serve much
purpose now). Some mirrors (e.g. the LANL mirror) are backed up
locally providing an additional safeguard separate from Cornell's
infrastructure.

We also support a couple of other independently operated services
(the Front, and eprintweb.org) over the complete set of arXiv
data using our mirroring mechanism. These are fed with daily
updates too.

Since the early days of arXiv we have provided bulk data access
to researchers by agreement but have felt that we cannot fund
support for uncontrolled bulk download (server support and
network fees for hundreds of people downloading 200GB
periodically would not be insignificant). Technology and internet
business models have come to the rescue in the form of the cloud.
We recently started putting up the complete collection of arXiv
PDFs (the most frequently requested part of the dataset) on
Amazon S3. This seems to be well received so we will likely
extend to include source files also. For details see
http://arxiv.org/help/bulk_data_s3 . We were also involved in the
creation of the OAI-PMH standard and have supported metadata
harvesting with daily updates since before the release of the
standard (see http://arxiv.org/help/oa).

Cheers,
Simeon