September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

* Announcement (cross-posted) *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  This issue includes the concluding installment of
the essay started in the August issue on William Garvey's 1979
observation  that "in some disciplines, it is easier to repeat an
experiment than it is to determine that the experiment has
already been done."  In Part 2, I connect OA with three
variations on Garvey's theme:  when we we want to redo past work,
to test its results, when we inadvertently redo past work,
thinking it's new, and when we don't want to redo past work, or
look it up, because we've allowed knowledge to become taboo and
replaced curiosity with a defensive preference for what we
already believe.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-10.htm

The roundup section briefly notes 137 OA developments from
August.

September 2010 issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/01-02-10.htm

How to subscribe and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion
forum. http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/soan

The current and back issues are all open access, of course.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm

Peter

Peter Suber
Senior Researcher, SPARC
Berkman Fellow, Harvard University
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge