RE: Eliminating references in medical books

I've been looking at the Elsevier titles. I'm at a general
academic library so we buy very few of these medical titles but
those in medical libraries should know there are currently 279
titles represented in Expert Consult. I don't know if all of them
abandoned references in their print counterparts. Of those, 35
have a different presentation. They are sold or also sold as
'Expert Consult Premium Edition: Enhanced Online Features and
Print.' Catalogers should know that these are no longer static
representations of the print version. They will now become
continuing resources because these will be enhanced with

#Regular updates: These summaries of recent journal articles or
other late-breaking literature allow you to easily keep current
with all of the newest developments in your field.

# Full image library online: This includes all of the book's
images, organized by chapter, in a user-friendly format -
allowing you to search for what you want and then either save any
images into a virtual 'Light Box' or straight into a PowerPoint
presentation.

# Videos: Key procedures are demonstrated in both animations and
video, with audio voiceovers, so you can really see key
techniques and hear them explained step by step.

# Drug database: access drug information by indications,
contraindications, and adverse reactions. Powered by Gold
Standard - the leading developer of drug information.

# Self-assessment questions: Standard exam-type questions
facilitate board review or offer a convenient refresher on the
latest knowledge

Knowing what you purchase, own and have access to will be even
harder - and will libraries be able to purchase them in the
enhanced version? Many of these are the old standards from Mosby
and W.B. Saunders that medical libraries always had to have -
maybe that's the question. Where is the MLA on this?

We will be watching the Elsevier titles for our general academic
library and considering carefully how we want to buy the content.
If anyone wants a copy of the list as of today, please contact me
off line and I will share it. I have it in Excel.

Linda
Linda Hulbert, Associate Director Collection Management and
Services
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library #5004
University of Saint Thomas
2115 Summit Avenue