Access by non-affiliates to licensed content

Hello, everyone,

You may remember that, some weeks ago, I posed a query to this
list about the availability of research publications or other
reports dealing with the extent to which there has been shown to
be, among  a) the general public and/or  b) small enterprises and
e.g. independent consultants, a demand for, or serious interest
in gaining, structural remote access to digital
scientific/scholarly content that is typically, because of
license stipulations, only available to persons formally
affiliated with institutions such as universities which (i.e., in
many cases, whose libraries) have negotiated and paid for the
licensed access.

In the period that followed, I received several indications of
interest in this subject from list participants, with the request
that I make available to the list any useful responses that I may
have received. In fact, my query did not yield as much as I had
hoped -- though there were a few useful suggestions. In the
intervening period, I have, as time permitted, myself gone in
search of relevant literature. Anyway, because of the
above-mentioned request from others on the list, I herewith
present a summary indication of what I have found to be
available.

Alas -- it doesn't turn out to be all that much. (Sufficient
justification, it would seem, for suggesting initiation of some
research projects on this topic.)

The relevant studies that have been done, and the reports and
publications that exist, tend to lie in the medical and health
care or health services areas. I must confess that this was
hardly a surprise.

Surely I have missed some things -- perhaps even important
things. Further suggestions remain welcome.

Deserving of first mention are, perhaps, the reports :

Scientific publications : free for all? : Tenth report of Session
2003-04 : Volume I: Report / House of Commons, Science and
Technology Committee. - London : The Stationery Office Limited,
20 July 2004. - 114 p. - Available at
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399.pdf
or via
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/39902.htm

[As a result of the release of this report, there appeared a
short article :   Carl Clayton, "STM research literature and the
general public", Library + information update 3.10 (October
2004), p.15.]

and :

Overcoming barriers : access to research information content . -
London : Research Information Network, December 2009. - 28 p.
(This report "presents the findings of five studies commissioned
by the Research Information Network (RIN) to assess the nature
and scale of key restrictions on access to information resources
of importance to researchers, the impact of these restrictions,
and ways in which they might be alleviated or overcome." (the
report, p.4). Links to all these six important documents, plus a
briefing paper, can be found at :
http://www.rin.ac.uk/our-work/using-and-accessing-information-resources/overcoming-barriers-access-research-information)

Certainly also important is :

Access by UK small and medium-sized enterprises to professional
and academic information : research report / Publishing Research
Consortium. - Bristol : Mark Ware Consulting Ltd., August 2009. -
iii, 49 p. - Available at
http://www.publishingresearch.net/documents/SMEAccessResearchReport.pdf

with its accompanying report :

Access to professional and academic information in the UK : A
survey of SMEs, large companies, universities &
colleges,hospitals & medical schools, governmental & research
institutes : Companion report . - 51 p. - Available at
http://www.publishingresearch.net/documents/SMEAccessCompanionReport.pdf

Also quite pertinent are two very recent articles by Ken Masters
:

"Opening the non-open access medical journals: Internet-based
sharing of journal articles on a medical web site", The Internet
journal of medical informatics 5.1 (2009). - Available at
http://tinyurl.com/kmoajournals and "Opening the closed-access
medical journals: Internet-based sharing of institutions' access
codes on a medical web-site", The Internet journal of medical
informatics 5.2 (2010). - Available at
http://tinyurl.com/kmaccesscodes

Other significant publications dealing with the question are :

Alesia Zuccala, "Open access and civic scientific information
literacy", Information research 15.1 (2010). - Available at
http://informationr.net/ir/15-1/paper426.html

Alesia  Zuccala, "Layperson and open access", in Annual review of
information science and technology 43 (2009), p.359-396

Joseph Esposito, "A Library Card Under the Christmas Tree", blog
contribution dated Dec. 1 2009, on "The scholarly kitchen"
(Society for Scholarly Publishing), with twelve responses. -
Available at
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2009/12/01/a-library-card-under-the-christmas-tree/

The access principle : the case for open access to research and
scholarship / John Willinsky. - Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press,
2006. - ISBN 0-262-23242-1. Especially chapter 8 ("Public"),
p.111-126

and two of his earlier books :

If only we knew : increasing the public value of social-science
research. - New York [etc.] : Routledge, 2000. - ISBN
0-415-92651-3 ; 0-415-92652-1 pbk. and Technologies of knowing :
a proposal for the human sciences. - Boston, Mass. : Beacon
Press, 1999. - ISBN 0-8070-6106-9 ; 0-8070-6107-7 pbk

and his article :

"Why open access to research and scholarship?", Journal of
neuroscience 26.36 (2006), p.9078-9079

as well as :

Ray English & Molly Raphael, "The next big library legislative
issue", American libraries 37.8 (September 2006), p.30-32

Gregor Horstkemper, "Zugang zu geistes- und
sozialwissenschaftlichen Fachinformationen leicht gemacht:
Nationallizenzen und pay-per-use-Modelle - oeffentliche
Bibliotheken als wichtige Anlaufstationen", BuB : Forum
Bibliothek und Information 58.7/8 (Juli/August 2006), p.553-558

Mogens Damm, "Adgang for alle: en virkelighed med begraensninger"
["Access for all: a reality with limitations"],
Bibliotekspressen, 16. januar 2003, p.10-13

M. Frank, "Access to the scientific literature - a difficult
balance", New England journal of medicine 354.15 (2006),
p.1552-1555

Ellen Euler, "Licences for open access to scientific publications
- a German perspective", INDICARE monitor 2.4 (2005). - Available
at http://www.indicare.org/tiki-readarticle.php?articleId=117

Giovanni A. Fava & Jenny Guidi, "Information overload, the
patient and the clinician", Psychotherapy and psychosomatics 76.1
(2007), p.1-3

Sue M. Hollander, "Providing health information to the general
public: a survey of current practices in academic health sciences
libraries", Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 88.1
(2000), p.62-69. - Available at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC35199/pdf/i0025-7338-088-01-0062.pdf

Also of potential interest :

A special issue of Arbor : ciencia, pensamiento y cultura --
volume 185 (2009), issue 737:  "Ciencia y cultura en la Red". -
Available at
http://arbor.revistas.csic.es/index.php/arbor/issue/view/22/showToc
Especially the contributions of Martin, Cope & Kalantzis,
Feltrero

Papers from BOBCATSSS 2010, Parma, Italy, 25-27 January 2010,
under the theme "Bridging the digital divide: libraries providing
access for all?" Especially the contributions of Sieverts et al.
(http://dspace-unipr.cilea.it/bitstream/1889/1249/2/Panorama-Parma.pdf),
Tveter & Sveum
(http://dspace-unipr.cilea.it/bitstream/1889/1269/2/TveterSveum.pdf),
Glimstedt
(http://dspace-unipr.cilea.it/bitstream/1889/1213/1/Glimstedt.pdf),
Ashcroft
(http://dspace-unipr.cilea.it/bitstream/1889/1248/2/bobcatsss%202010%20Ashcroft.pdf),
Cassella
(http://dspace-unipr.cilea.it/bitstream/1889/1244/1/Maria%20Cassella.pdf)

Urszula Knop, "Zmiany w udostepnianiu zbiorow w bibliotekach
naukowych" ["Changes in accessing collections at university
libraries"], Bibliotekarz, 2008, nr.2, p.10-14

Frank Parry, "The access principle: The case for open access to
research and scholarship", Online information review 30.5 (2006),
p.600-601

Matthew J. Cockerill & Vitek Tracz, "Open access and the future
of the scientific research article", Journal of neuroscience
26.40 (2006), p.10079-10081

Michael J. Kurtz, "Restrictive access policies cut readership of
electronic research journal articles by a factor of two",
conference presentation for "National Policies on Open Access
(OA) Provision for University Research Output: an International
meeting", February 19 2004 at New College, Southampton
University. - Available at
http://opcit.eprints.org/feb19oa/kurtz.pdf

I. H. Witten, "Digital libraries: developing countries, universal
access, and information for all", in Digital libraries:
International collaboration and cross-fertilization. 7th
International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries, ICADL 2004.
Proceedings. Shanghai, China. 13-17 Dec. 2004 (Lecture notes in
computer science ; 3334) (Berlin : Springer, 2004), p.35-44

T. Scott Plutchak, "Embracing open access", Journal of the
Medical Library Association  92.1 (2004), p.1-3. - Available at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC314095/pdf/i0025-7338-092-01-0001.pdf

P.S. Tamber et al., "Open access to peer-reviewed research:
Making it happen", The lancet 362.9395 (2003), p.1575-1577

Alex Byrne, "Digital libraries: barriers or gateways to scholarly
information?", Electronic library 21.5 (2003), p.414-421

Esko Hakli, "Public libraries and the National Electronic
Library", Scandinavian public library quarterly 32.1 (1999),
p.7-8

(Some special characters have been omitted above, for technical
discussion list software reasons.)

And finally, it is certainly appropriate to allude here (as did
two persons who responded off-list to my request) to the online
commercial service DeepDyve : "The largest online rental service
for scientific, technical and medical research -- For as low as
$0.99". DeepDyve (formerly Infovell) itself describes its service
as follows :

"Search across our vast repository of 30 million articles and
preview any article for free. If you would like to see the rest
of the article, you can rent the article and read its full-text
for up to 24 hours for as little as $0.99. Rented articles can
only be viewed at DeepDyve and cannot be downloaded, printed or
shared.

The DeepDyve Basic account doesn't cost anything to join and
comes with 3 free rentals to help get you started. Once those 3
free rentals have been used, additional rentals will cost as low
as $0.99. DeepDyve also offers the Silver and Gold monthly plans.
These plans provide even greater flexibility and more peace of
mind by allowing more rentals per month, for longer periods of
time."

Its site can be found under :  http://www.deepdyve.com/ .
DeepDyve is still in beta. There's a publishers' list beginning
at http://www.deepdyve.com/browse/publishers , and a journals
list beginning at http://www.deepdyve.com/browse/journals .

You can find some (brief) evaluations of, or reports on, this
service in for example :

Advanced technology libraries 38.12 (Dec. 2009), p.3

Against the grain 21.6 (Dec. 2009 / Jan. 2010), p.76-77

Online 34.1 (Jan./Febr. 2010), p.8

Information today 27.4 (Apr. 2010), p.38, 42

I'll just leave it at that, hoping that this posting will have
been of some use to others here on the list.

And my thanks -- again also on-list -- to those who responded.

- Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland